Beginning June 2022, virtual-only format allows you to give comments online or by phone. You can also watch via live stream or television.
Berkeley City Council meetings will once again be virtual-only starting on June 14, 2022, when you’ll be able to continue giving comments by phone or online via Zoom.
You can also watch meetings via a live stream or Cable B-TV (Channel 33).
The decision to shift to virtual meetings was made on May 31 by the City Council’s Agenda and Rules Policy Committee in consultation with staff with the goal of running meetings efficiently and safely while maintaining broad access.
These phone and online participation tools give broad flexibility to track meetings virtually and participate when the item you’re interested in comes up for discussion.
Join in or comment at a meeting
To participate in a City Council meeting virtually, you can choose to join by phone or online using Zoom.
- Dial 1 (877) 853-5257 and enter the Meeting ID. The meeting ID will be posted at the top of the agenda for each meeting. For example, the June 14 agenda has the following Zoom meeting ID: 839 3319 2334
- To speak, press *9 when your item is called and wait for your turn.
- The meeting Chair will announce when it is your turn to speak by reading the last four digits of your phone number.
- Follow the link posted on the first page of the meeting agenda.
- To speak, use the "raise hand" icon near the bottom of the screen and wait.
- The meeting Chair will call your name when it is your turn.
To use this option, you will need to use the Zoom platform. Zoom provides instructions that you can review in advance, including joining a test meeting.
You are not required to provide your name to participate. Your name will appear on the screen however you enter it into the app.
Know how, when to comment and add formal comments
City Council Agendas are published 12 days in advance of the meeting.
That publication triggers a variety of ways you can comment or give input – including mail and email – and have those comments entered into the official public record.
For questions about participating virtually, email the City Clerk Department or call (510) 981-6900.