Help strengthen and expand City of Berkeley’s mental health services by giving feedback directly at a virtual meeting or by phone, email, or mail.
Give input via phone, email, or one of four virtual meetings about efforts to strengthen mental health outreach, assessment, and treatment for people of all ages.
These services would be structured with a focus on increasing health equities across racial, ethnic, and cultural populations in Berkeley.
Using the feedback from staff and community, some of the many services in the proposed plan include:
- Increased services for Latinx, LGTBQ, Black, underserved, or unserved community members so they receive equitable levels of care.
- A team that would link individuals to local services following a mental health crisis.
- Incorporating assessment, treatment, and a referral program for children (0-5 years old) and their families so they get prevention and early intervention support.
- Trauma support services for youth, adults, and older adults.
- Mental health, transportation, food, housing short stays, living supports.
- Increased staffing for treatment teams that provide wrap-around service for individuals with the highest level of needs. The increased staff would also support program evaluation and improve quality of care.
The Mental Health Services Act Fiscal Year 2023 Annual Plan is an update to the previous Three-Year Program and Expenditure Plan. The plan outlines the use of funding for mental health services and programming.
Share your thoughts on our plan for mental health services funds
Your involvement is pivotal, please provide feedback via the following methods no later than 5:00 pm on Wednesday, June 22:
Karen Klatt, M.Ed., Mental Health Services Act Coordinator
City of Berkeley Mental Health, 1521 University Ave., Berkeley, CA 94703
Read the full Mental Health Services Act FY23 Annual Plan.
To learn more or weigh in about Mental Health Services in Berkeley attend one of several upcoming Community Input Meetings on Zoom or call in: (669) 900-6833, meeting ID: 844-673-3966, and password: 081337.
- Monday, June 13: 6:00-7:30pm
- Tuesday, June 14: 1:00-2:30pm
- Thursday, June 16: 6:00-7:30pm
- Wednesday, June 22: 3:00-4:30pm
Participants do not need to register in advance.
A Public Hearing on the Mental Health Services Act Annual Update at the Mental Health Commission meeting on June 23, which will be publicly noticed and held via Zoom, will also be an opportunity for community input. The final Annual Update will be submitted on approximately July 26 to the Berkeley City Council for approval.
Improving Berkeley Mental Health Services
The Annual Plan outlines the use of $10.9 million of state funding in fiscal year 2023 for mental health services and programming. The Mental Health Services Act is state legislation approved by voters in November 2004 that places a 1% tax on every dollar of personal income over $1 million. The State distributes this money to local mental health divisions, like the City of Berkeley, for the purpose of expanding mental health services.
MHSA funding represents over a third of the Mental Health Division’s budget, and allows for the provision of core services and programs that the city would otherwise not have available.
Berkeley Mental Health provides a wide range of services; primarily aimed at individuals who have serious mental illness and major impairments and who have Medi-Cal or no insurance. Berkeley is one of only two California cities with a mental health division. Almost all of the Mental Health Division’s funding comes from state and federal sources.
By having its own Mental Health Division, the City of Berkeley can tailor services closely to the community’s needs. Berkeley Mental Health focuses on increasing access to mental health services, offering walk-in hours and, responding to behavioral health crises in the community. The division offers a targeted approach to help individuals who are homeless, including guiding them into long-term supportive housing.
Your input helps staff align the work we do with community needs and values.