Services for Seniors
Seniors and their caregivers can connect with Senior Services Assistants or Case Managers for support with navigating local resources.
Connecting older adults to services
At each Senior Center in Berkeley, Senior Services Assistants can help you link to services.
While they are not able to provide ongoing, long-term support, they can help by providing:
- A phone or in-person meeting to determine a senior’s needs and, if appropriate, refer to other community services or programs.
- Phone consultation for family members (or other involved persons).
- Assistance by phone to help older adults receive appropriate benefits and services.
- Referrals to identified services.
- Eligibility screening for case management services provided by the Social Services Unit.
Information & Assistance Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710
- Judge Henry Ramsey Jr. South Berkeley Senior Center
2939 Ellis Street, Berkeley, CA 94703
Case management services
The Social Services Unit is not accepting referrals for case management at this time due to limited availability of staff. You may still contact us to obtain information or be placed on a waitlist.
The Social Services Unit provides time-limited case management, including consultation and referral in many areas of concern for older adults in the Berkeley community. Please call (510) 981-5180 for more information.
Case managers provide resources to support many concerns, including:
- Having adequate food
- Accessing medical, mental health services and dental and vision care
- Health insurance and financial benefits advocacy resources
- Legal assistance resources
- Affordable housing listings
(Please note that Case Managers do not provide housing placement or navigation services)
- Accessibility and safety issues in the home
- Resources for utilities and energy assistance
- Home care assistance referrals
- Family caregiver support
Below are useful links to various resources available to the Berkeley senior citizen community.
- 2-1-1 Phone Service: Information and Referral Phone Line to help people find affordable housing and critical social services in Berkeley and in Alameda County.
- Alameda County Social Services Agency: Information about social services from Alameda County
- Alzheimer's Association: Help and support for individuals with Alzheimer’s and their families
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
- Energy Assistance Program: Support with energy bills for low-income households
- Social Security Administration
- The Social Security and Disability News Resource Center
- Veterans Affairs Department
- Housing Resource Center: Support for homeless individuals seeking housing