Learn how to register or terminate your domestic partnership with the State of California and the City of Berkeley.
Register with State Domestic Partnership program
Register with the City Domestic Partnership program
Our domestic partnership program is separate and distinct from the State of California registry. The City of Berkeley domestic partnership does not confer the same range of benefits and obligations upon partners.
Requirements for a City-administered domestic partnership
Domestic partnership filers must attest to meeting certain requirements, such as:
- Reside together and share the common necessities of life
- Not be married to anyone
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older
- Not be related by blood so close as to bar marriage in the State of California and are mentally competent to consent to contract
- Be each other's sole domestic partner and intend to remain so indefinitely
- Neither have been part of a domestic partnership that was terminated less than six (6) months ago
Please review the registration form for complete requirements.
To register your partnership:
Please make an appointment to register your domestic partnership by calling (510) 981-6908.
- Completely fill out the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership form signed by both parties and submit to City Clerk’s Office
- Pay the filing fee of $30
For lost certificates there is a $5.00 charge for a certified copy.
PLEASE NOTE: This Affidavit of Domestic Partnership may have potential legal implications under California law which has recognized that non-marital cohabiting couples may privately contract with respect to the financial obligations of their relationship. If you have questions regarding the potential legal effects of signing the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership, you should consult an attorney.
Terminate a City-administered domestic partnership
To terminate your domestic partnership fill out the Statement of Termination form and submit to City Clerk’s Office. The form may be signed by one or both parties.
Cost for termination:
- $5.00 when both parties have signed.
- $15.00 when only one party signs.
Termination is effective upon receipt of this form by the City Clerk Department.