Tenant Request for Housing Inspection
Tenants in Berkeley who believe their unit is not meeting safety requirements should notify their landlord. If the issues are not fixed, tenants can request an inspection by the City.
Rental housing in Berkeley must follow safety requirements established by the California housing code. If you are a tenant and believe your unit is not meeting the housing code requirements listed in the Rental Housing Safety Program Self-Certification Checklist, you should notify your landlord to fix the issue. If your landlord does not fix the issue, you may request a housing inspection by the City of Berkeley.
Request an inspection online
You can request an inspection online by following the steps below:
- Register for or log into an existing account on the online service center
- Select the Housing tab and click Create an Inspection Request
- Review and accept the disclaimer, then click Continue Application
- Select Tenant Inspection Request, then enter the property address, tenant information, property owner/responsible party information, and complete information regarding your concerns
- After submittal your request will be assigned to an inspector who will contact you regarding your request.
- The owner and complainant will receive a Notice of Intent to Inspect with the date and time of inspection. Inspections are usually scheduled within 10 working days of receiving the request.
Other ways to request an inspection
If you are unable to submit an inspection request online, you can submit a Request for Service form in one of the following ways:
- Print the Request for Service form and send by postal mail or email to Housing Code Enforcement.
- Call the Housing Code Enforcement office at (510) 981-5444 and request that a form be mailed.
- Come into the Housing Code Enforcement office located at 1947 Center Street, 3rd Floor in the Permit Service Center to complete the form. The Permit Service Center is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 8:30-4:30.
Submit your request by mail or email:
- By mail: Housing Code Enforcement
1947 Center Street, 3rd Floor
Berkeley, CA 94704
- Email: email@example.com