Fire Code Violations
Report fire code violations. If you've been issued an inspection report, find ways to fix issues or pay fines.
Report a fire code violation
If you notice a fire code violation, submit a complaint by emailing email@example.com with the location, description, and, if possible, photo of the violation.
Address a fire code violation
If you have received a fire prevention inspection report with violations noted, you need to correct the violations.
- You have 30 days before the first reinspection.
- If violations are not corrected and/or if new violations are noted during the first reinspection, you will generally have up to 30 days to correct the violation before the next reinspection. The inspector may require you to correct the violation in fewer than 30 days.
- If you do not correct the violation(s), you will be subject to fines up to $500 per day, per violation.
Common fire code violations and how to address them
- Address Identification
House numbers must be visible from the street, with a minimum height of 4 inches, on a contrasting background.
- Knox Box
Request an order form for a Knox Box—a key box that offers Fire personnel a means of rapid entry into a building—from the Fire Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and providing:
- Name and contact information of person ordering
- Address to receive the Knox Box form
- Location where the Knox Box will be installed.
- Fire Extinguisher
Must be serviced and tagged annually by a fire extinguisher technician (not the Fire Department). If extinguishers are in units instead of common areas, you must post a sign. Download “Providing Fire Extinguishers at Apartment Buildings and Similar Residential Properties.” We recommend a minimum rating of 2A:10B:C fire extinguisher. Learn more about fire extinguishers.
- Smoke alarms
Obtain a smoke alarm with either ionization or photoelectric technology. You may get a combination smoke and carbon monoxide unit, or separate ones, depending on your preference. Learn how to install and maintain smoke alarms.
- Preparing Property for Wildfire
Be a customer-focused organization that provides excellent, timely, easily accessible service and information to the community