The City of Berkeley’s Strategic Plan identifies the long-term goals and short-term priorities that the City government will focus on to benefit the Berkeley community.
The Strategic Plan identifies the City government’s long-term goals on behalf of the Berkeley community. The Berkeley City Council approved the plan in January 2018.
The plan includes numerous priorities, which are short term projects or programs which support a goal. For each of these priorities, a significant phase of work is expected to be done by the end of a budget cycle. Priorities are refreshed each budget cycle.
- Create affordable housing and housing support services for our most vulnerable community members
- Be a global leader in addressing climate change, advancing environmental justice, and protecting the environment
- Champion and demonstrate social and racial equity
- Provide an efficient and financially-healthy City government
- Provide state-of-the-art, well-maintained infrastructure, amenities, and facilities
- Foster a dynamic, sustainable, and locally-based economy
- Create a resilient, safe, connected, and prepared City
- Be a customer-focused organization that provides excellent, timely, easily-accessible service and information to the community
- Attract and retain a talented and diverse City government workforce
Progress on priorities
The following chart and table show the status of Strategic Plan projects at the end of the third quarter of calendar year 2021.
|Status||% of projects|
|Work in Progress||27.1|
|Proposed Balancing Measures||2.3|
Interested in learning more about how the City is progressing on Strategic Plan Priorities? Take a look at the Strategic Plan Quarterly Report.
Each Department in the City of Berkeley sets performance measures to track the impact of their work over time. The performance measures help the City track how much do we do, how well do we do it, and whether anyone is better off as a result. These performance measures are based on the Strategic Plan goals.
Citywide performance measures are incorporated into the Fiscal Year 2022 Budget.