Birth & Death Certificates
Purchase certified certificates for births or deaths that occurred in Berkeley within the past two years.
The City of Berkeley provides certified birth and death certificates for purchase, as long as the below criteria are met:
- Birth or death happened within Berkeley city limits
- Birth or death happened within the past two years
- Applicant is an authorized individual:(see top of page 2 of the application for a detail Lis)
For births outside of Berkeley, or that happened over two years ago, contact Alameda County. For births or deaths outside of Alameda County, consult California Department of Public Vital Records’ website to find the appropriate agency.
Apply in person, by mail, or online
- Bring picture ID and payment. Forms of payment accepted: Cash, Visa, Mastercard or check payable to the City of Berkeley at 1947 Center St. Berkeley Monday-Wednesday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Obtain an application form (at the bottom of this page), complete sections 1-3, then bring to the window to sign in front of the counter clerk.
- Return the next business day to pick up your certificate, or request it to be sent by mail.
- Complete the appropriate application form (at the bottom of this page), and have it notarized.
- Include a check or money order made payable to the City of Berkeley.
- Mail the completed application and payment to:
City of Berkeley - Vital Statistics
1947 Center Street
Berkeley, CA 94704
- Place an order on our partner site, VitalChek.
- A processing fee of $7.00 will apply for orders placed through VitalChek.
- VitalChek will email an authorization form for you to print, fill out, and have notarized.
- Fax the notarized Authorization form to (510) 981-5395.
Other Vital Records Services
- Amendments to certificates (name change, misspellings, or other corrections needed): please visit the California Department of Public Health’s Vital Records Registration Branch website for more information by clicking here.
- Adding a parent to a birth certificate (VDOP): Contact our office to schedule an appointment at (510) 981-5320 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apostilles: Contact Alameda County Recorder’s Office for a California Secretary of State approved certified birth certificate. Please visit the CA Secretary of State's website for more up-to-date accurate information regarding apostilles by clicking here.
Certificate application forms and fees
Fees effective January 1, 2022.
Updated on July 29, 2022