Out of Hospital and Home Birth Registrations
Make an appointment to register your out-of-hospital birth/home birth and purchase a birth certificate.
If you give birth at outside of the hospital or home, you will need to make an in-person appointment to register the birth with the City of Berkeley. Health and Safety Code Sections (HSC) 102400 and 102415 require that you register the birth of this child with the City of Berkeley, local registrar within ten days of the birth. Follow the instructions listed below:
- Collect all documents listed in the Out-of-hospital Birth Registration Checklist
- Complete the Out-of-hospital Birth Registration Packet
- Send documents and completed packet to the Office of Vital Statistics by email, fax, or mail:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (510) 981-5395
- Mail: Office of Vital Statistics
1947 Center Street
Berkeley, CA 94704
- After processing your information, the Office of Vital Statistics will call you to arrange a time to come to the office in person. The person who gave birth, the baby, and a witness to the birth will need to come to the appointment.
- When you come to the in-person appointment, you can also choose to purchase the child’s birth certificate.
The City registers births that took place in City limits and within the past 12 months. For births outside of Berkeley, contact the city or county where the birth took place. For births longer than 12 months ago, file a delayed registration of birth with the State of California.