All businesses operating, directly or indirectly, in the City of Berkeley are required to have a current business license for each location.
All businesses located in or doing work in Berkeley are required to have a business license and pay business license taxes. This includes but not limited to:
- Owners of commercial rental property
- Owners of residential property with three or more dwelling units
- Owners of five or more residential rental units
- Contractors applying for building permits
- Home-based businesses
- Street artists and vendors
- Other businesses doing business as Partnerships, Corporations, Co-op Corporations, Sole Owners, LLCs , or LLP/LPs
The business license is a revenue tax and is not a regulatory permit. Business owners are responsible for obtaining all necessary approvals, permits, licenses, and to pay all taxes and fees associated with the business. Payment of the business license tax does not constitute zoning, building, fire, health, or toxic review/approval.
Some business information is subject to public disclosure. For a listing of all active City of Berkeley businesses, visit the City of Berkeley’s Open Data Portal, where you can download or view a list of all businesses with an active City business license.