Berkeley businesses can get assistance on a range of business topics, including business assistance and expansion, marketing, and talent recruitment.
The Office of Economic Development helps businesses, entrepreneurs, artists, and community organizations access services, feel welcome in Berkeley, and thrive. Businesses can get direct assistance and advice from staff, access resources about starting a business, or get connected with other local organizations for industry- or location-specific support.
Subscribe to the Office of Economic Development newsletter to receive updates about funding opportunities, resources, events, and more.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance for your Berkeley business. Examples of topics we can support you with include:
- Finding a Berkeley location
- Navigating the zoning and building permit process
- Engaging with neighboring businesses, commercial districts, and local stakeholders
- Marketing, for example through the #DiscoveredinBerkeley campaign
- Accessing citywide demographic and commercial district data
- Recruiting talent and posting jobs
- Joining relevant industry and business networks
- Establishing an outdoor commerce installation or parklet
- COVID-19 information and resources
Read our brochure for information about the Office of Economic Development’s services.
Resources for starting a business
Read the Berkeley Business Resource Guide for information on how to start and sustain a successful business in Berkeley. The guide walks through key steps of launching a new business:
- Creating a business plan
- Exploring financing options
- Establishing as a legal entity
- Obtaining your business license and permits
Operating a food business? Read the Environmental Regulations & Resources for Food Businesses to understand the environmental rules you need to follow.
Connect with other organizations
A number of our partners at other government agencies and nonprofit organizations also provide services to Berkeley businesses.
A few of these include:
- Alameda County Small Business Development Center: counseling, expansion planning, loan application preparation, educational workshops
- Berkeley Startup Cluster: resources and support for startups and entrepreneurs
- Berkeley Commercial Districts: neighborhood and location-specific connections
- Project Equity: succession planning, conversion to worker ownership
- Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center: business planning, educational workshops
- Tech Futures Group: market launch, funding strategies, Intellectual Property strategy, Small Business Development Center programs and seminars, and Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grant applications
- Working Solutions: financing, business counseling