The elected City Auditor independently assesses City funded programs, services, and operations.
The City Auditor's office evaluates the City's compliance with local laws and regulations, whether objectives are achieved, and whether services are provided efficiently, effectively, and equitably.
The City of Berkeley Auditor’s office is divided into two divisions, performance audit and payroll audit. The performance audit division focuses on assessing City activities and making recommendations to the City Council and City Manager on how to improve program performance.
The payroll audit division examines and monitors the City payroll system. Independent review of the City payroll system helps prevent fraud, incorrect payments, and management override of controls.
Read our most recent reports:
- Spending Aligned with Ballot Measure FF and the City Is Improving Internal Processes
- Berkeley City Auditor Whistleblower Program
- Staff Shortages - City Services Constrained by Staff Retention Challenges and Delayed Hiring
- City Auditor Fiscal Year 2024 Audit Plan
- Police Overtime Audit Report Wins National Recognition
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates about City Auditor reports.