The elected City Auditor independently assesses City funded programs, services, and operations.
The City Auditor's office evaluates the City's compliance with local laws and regulations, whether objectives are achieved, and whether services are provided efficiently, effectively, and equitably.
The City of Berkeley Auditor’s office is divided into two divisions, performance audit and payroll audit. The performance audit division focuses on assessing City activities and making recommendations to the City Council and City Manager on how to improve program performance.
The payroll audit division examines and monitors the City payroll system. Independent review of the City payroll system helps prevent fraud, incorrect payments, and management override of controls.
Read our most recent reports:
- Police Overtime Audit Report Wins National Recognition
- City Auditor Fiscal Year 2023 Audit Plan
- Berkeley's Financial Condition (FY 2012 - FY 2021): Pension Liabilities and Infrastructure Need Attention (Caracteristicas Destacadas del Informe)
- Berkeley Police: Improvements Needed to Manage Overtime and Security Work for Outside Entities (Caracteristicas Destacadas del Informe)
- Financial First Aid Kit: A Guide to Emergency Financial Preparedness for Berkeley Residents
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates about City Auditor reports.