Adopt a Pet
Give an animal in need a new home by adopting from the City of Berkeley’s Animal Shelter.
To adopt a pet, visit the Berkeley Animal Shelter during business hours. You may want to check online first to see what animals are currently adoptable. You can view our adoptable animals at the Friends of Berkeley Animal Care Services website.
|Animal type||Adoption fee|
If you’re sixty or over, and you adopt an animal who is 6 or over, you’ll get a 60% discount on the adoption fee.
Our adoption process is designed to ensure the best match for both you and your new pet.
To adopt a pet from Berkeley Animal Care Services, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Provide a government-issued ID
- Complete the adopter profile
- Meet with the animal and a counselor
- Sign the contract, pay the fee, and have fun with your new family member!
Recommended, but not required:
- It may be helpful for all members of your household to meet the animal first at the shelter before bringing your new dog home
- If you currently have a dog at home, we will happily accommodate a dog-to-dog meet and greet at the shelter before bringing your new dog home
If more than one person wants to adopt an animal the morning it becomes available, we will enter the names of qualified adopters into a random drawing. Please note that the adopter must be physically present at the shelter. If you are coming from out of town to adopt a specific animal, we suggest calling the shelter first to confirm the animal is still available for adoption.
All animals adopted from the shelter will be spayed or neutered, microchipped, and current on all vaccines before going home as your new pet. If the animal is spayed or neutered at the time of adoption, it can leave the same day. If the animal is not yet spayed or neutered, you can pick up your new pet the day after their surgery.