Adopt a Pet
Give an animal in need a new home by adopting from the City of Berkeley’s Animal Shelter.
To adopt a pet, visit the Berkeley Animal Shelter during business hours. You may want to check online first to see what animals are currently adoptable. You can view our adoptable animals at the Friends of Berkeley Animal Care Services website.
|Animal type||Adoption fee|
If you’re sixty or over, and you adopt an animal who is 6 or over, you’ll get a 60% discount on the adoption fee.
Our adoption process is designed to ensure the best match for both you and your new pet.
In order to adopt a pet from the Berkeley Animal Shelter, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Show proof that you can have a pet where you live (for example, a copy of your lease stating that pets are allowed, or proof of home ownership, such as a mortgage statement)
To get started with the adoption process:
- Everyone in the household should come meet the pet
- If you are adopting a dog and already have a dog(s), please bring them to meet the dog you want to adopt
- During your visit, you will fill out a simple adoption application which will help us advise and prepare you for your new pet
- We offer home adoption counseling visits for any of our dogs and may require it for some dogs
If more than one person wants to adopt an animal on the morning it becomes available, we enter the names of qualified adopters into a random drawing. Please note, the adopter must be physically present at the shelter, and be deemed a fit home for adoption. If you are coming from out of town to adopt a specific animal, we suggest calling the shelter first to confirm that the animal is still available for adoption.
All cats and dogs adopted from the shelter will be neutered or spayed, vaccinated and microchipped before going home as your new pet. If the animal is spayed or neutered at the time of adoption, it can leave the same day. If the animal is not yet spayed or neutered, you can pick up your new pet the day after surgery.