Meals and Groceries for Seniors
Access nutritious meals and groceries through TriCity Cafés at Berkeley Senior Centers, Mercy Brown Bag grocery pick-ups, or Meals on Wheels deliveries.
Tri-City Café offers tasty and nutritious meals at Berkeley Senior Centers. Consult the Nugget monthly newsletter for the lunch menu. To participate, all participants must provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19.
Location: South Berkeley Senior Center
Schedule: Thursdays at 11:30 am
Cost: No one 60+ is turned away for inability to contribute.
- $3.00 per meal for age 60 and over (suggested contribution)
- $5.00 for those under the age of 60 (meals are available after all seniors are served)
Mercy Brown Bag
Sign up for Mercy Brown Bag to receive a grocery bag of nutritional food twice a month.
- Seniors 60 years old or older
- Must be a resident of Alameda County
- Must have a be below monthly income limits listed below. Income includes any wages, retirement, pension, disability, social security, SSI, General Assistance, CAPI, family assistance, etc.
- Under $2,522.33 for one (1) person
- Under $3,411.42 for two (2) people
- Under $4,300.50 for three (3) people
- Under $5,189.58 for four (4) people
- Under $6,078.67 for five (5) people
- Under $6,967.75 for six (6) people
- Under $7,856.83 for seven (7) people
- Under $8,745.92 for eight (8) people
- Over 8 people, add $889.08 each
- Only one membership per household
How to register
Contact the Judge Henry Ramsey Jr. South Berkeley Senior Center or the North Berkeley Senior Center. If there are openings, you will need to provide:
- A driver's license or state ID card with your birth date and current address
- All sources of income for all household members: SSI, Social Security, Pension, etc.
A voluntary contribution of $10 per year is requested. Anyone unable to contribute will not be turned away.
Pick up from your Senior Center on the first and third Fridays of each month at between 11am-1pm (except for holidays).
Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels is now delivering meals on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays:
- Tuesday, a chilled meal is sent for that day, and a frozen meal for Wednesday receive two meals
- Wednesday, a chilled meal is sent for that day, and a frozen meal for Thursday receive two meals
- Friday, a chilled meal is sent for that day, and two frozen meals for the weekend receive three meals (includes weekend)
We have implemented no-contact deliveries due to COVID-19 and are taking other precautions to protect community health.
Meals on Wheels delivers prepared meals to seniors who are unable to leave their home or prepare a meal themselves, due to illness or other health issues.
Homebound seniors (60 years of age or older) unable to prepare a balanced meal themselves or who have no one available to prepare a meal for them are eligible for the Meals on Wheel program.
How to register
If you are interested in participating in this program, please call Meals on Wheels at (510) 981-5250.
We suggest a contribution of $4.00 per meal, based upon your monthly income, to help us cover the costs of the program. No eligible senior is refused service due to inability to donate.
Donate to support Meals on Wheels
If you are interested in making a donation to Meals on Wheels, please send a check to our mailing address:
Meals on Wheels Donations
1011 University Ave