Reporting Safety Concerns at an Encampment
Contact us about dangerous health and safety conditions at an encampment in Berkeley.
Call or report online
Call 311 or submit a request online if you have non-emergency concerns about unsafe conditions on a street or sidewalk in Berkeley. Examples may include:
- Health hazards, such as human waste, syringes, or rodents
- Obstruction of sidewalks or roadways
- Interference with business or residence
- Large accumulation of belongings or debris
In case of an emergency, mental health crisis, or to receive homeless services, please contact the appropriate number below:
- Contact 911 for emergencies such as fire, violent crime, or medical emergency.
- Contact (510) 981-5900 for non-emergency police response to nonviolent crimes such as theft.
- Contact (510) 948-0075 for non-police response to mental health crises such as thoughts of suicide or substance use concerns. Learn more about mental health crisis services.
- Contact 211 to get connected with homeless services, such as shelter, housing, and referrals to services.
If you were living in an encampment and the City is storing your belongings, you can contact 311 to make an appointment to recover your items.
Assessment is the first step
After you report your concern to 311, the Homeless Response Team will assess the site for its impacts. Among the factors the City looks at are:
- Fire and safety hazards
- Health hazards
- Environmental hazards
- Obstruction of the public right-of-way
- Interference with businesses, residences, public infrastructure, or construction
- City resources for outreach and intervention
- Shelter availability
- Legal issues
After assessment, the Homeless Response Team’s next steps depend on circumstances. The team performs direct outreach to connect residents with shelter or housing, as well as improve cleanliness at the encampment. They also coordinate service delivery with nonprofit partners and other City departments.
Ultimately, the unit’s main goal is to reduce harms and resolve issues in a meaningful manner.