Addison Street to Dreamland/Channing Way (Landscape and Streetscape)
West side of Aquatic Park (Tree Planting)
South west corner of Aquatic Park (Boating and rowing parking lot)
Expect heavy delays and periodic closures on Bolivar Drive, Addison Street, and Bancroft Way. Bicycles and Pedestrians detour to 4th Street and West Bolivar Drive. One way traffic on Bolivar Drive between Addison Street and Bancroft Way, south-bound only and limited to Waterside Workshops/Street Level Cycles/BORP participants and customers.
There are 3 capital improvement projects happening in Aquatic Park during 2023. They are described below. For questions or further information related to the east side Bolivar Drive improvements and the west side parking lot improvements, please email Nelson Lam at NeLam@berkeleyca.gov. For questions or further information related to the West Bolivar Tree Planting Project, please email Ian Kesterson firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Aquatic Park Northeast Landscape and Streetscape Improvements Project in front of 600 Bolivar Dr. and 600 Addison St. has the following elements:
- Full reconstruction of East Bolivar Drive from Addison Street to Channing Way. This will include a) new asphalt surfacing, striping, and signage to enhance vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian access and safety; b) conversion of the road from two-way to one-way (southbound); a new pedestrian/bicycle pathway; c) new porous paving at the new parking stalls to absorb stormwater and reduce ponding after storms; and d) new disabled parking stalls to enhance safety and access to the Bay Area Outdoor Recreation Program (BORP) Adaptive Cycling Center, the Waterside Workshops Program, and the general public accessing Aquatic Park.
- Between East Bolivar Drive and Aquatic Park, new landscaping will be installed with native plants and over 90 new native trees, and new lawns with plazas will be installed for enhanced nature viewing, picnicking, gatherings, and other passive outdoor recreation.
This project is funded from a Community Benefits Agreement with Berkeley Commons, 600 Addison Development Project (approximately $5.5M), and Parks Tax ($250K).
This project has started construction with anticipated completion in October of 2023
The West Bolivar Drive Tree Planting Project has the following elements:
- A total of 250 new native trees will be planted to provide a nature-based separation between Interstate 80 and Aquatic Park. 100 trees will be planted along the east side of West Bolivar Drive and 150 will be planted on the west side.
The 600 Addison project and this tree planting project, will plant a combined total of 340 trees, which will be native climate-ready and drought-resistant trees that will include species such as California Live Oak/Coast Live Oak, California Buckeye, California Redbud/Western Redbud, Catalina Ironwood, etc. These new trees will provide the following enhanced environmental and aesthetic benefits:
- Enhanced habitat for a variety of birds, pollinators, insects, and small animals.
- Reduced urban heat island effect.
- Reduced air and noise pollution.
- Enhanced aesthetics and beautification for park users.
This project is funded by an Environmental Enhancement and Mitigation Program Grant ($100K) and the Bayer Fund ($160K).
This project will start in August/September and be finished by November of 2023
The Aquatic Park Paddling and Rowing Club Parking Lot Improvements Project has the following elements:
- Creating a new concrete ADA accessible entrance to the Kenneth Hayes Boathouse entrance.
- 17 new parking spaces on porous flexible paving surface (16 parking spaces and one trailer parking space).
- New ADA van accessible parking space with ADA compliant concrete walking surface to existing dock ramp.
- New ADA compliant toe ramp at entrance to dock.
This project is funded by Parks Tax ($428K) and the Bayer Fund ($158K).
This project has started construction with anticipated completion in July of 2023