The City of Berkeley encourages contractors working on publicly funded construction projects to hire Berkeley residents.
The First Source program promotes the hiring of Berkeley jobseekers on publicly funded construction projects, in addition to non-construction jobs that are created after construction is complete.
First Source for contactors and developers
Contractors and developers who work with the City on construction projects should follow the steps below to comply with the First Source agreement:
- After being awarded the contract with the City, contact the First Source office to obtain a First Source Agreement along with construction job order forms.
- Complete a Job Order Form and submit to Rules4work@cityofberkeley.info
- City staff will refer potential applicants and/or work with local employment and training programs to ensure that local residents have the opportunity to apply for jobs on your project.
- You have the flexibility to hire Berkeley residents through your union hall or other outreach methods that work best for your company.
First Source for jobseekers
Berkeley residents looking for a job can sign up with a local employment and training program to be notified when opportunities arise.
- Sign up at a local employment program, such as North Cities Career Center
- First Source staff will notify local programs when construction jobs are available due to signed First Source Agreements.
- Local programs will work directly with employers for non-construction jobs that result from the First Source Agreements.