Berkeley youth ages 14-25 can get placed into a part-time temporary job through the YouthWorks program.
Apply to the YouthWorks program to get valuable work experience, training opportunities, and make some income.
Participants in YouthWorks get placed into part-time temporary positions with partner organizations or within the City of Berkeley. YouthWorks helps you develop skills in interviewing, resume writing, and employability. YouthWorks jobs are part-time, so you can stay in school while participating in the program.
YouthWorks offers two seasonal sessions for youth ages 14-18, and a year-round extended program for ages 18-25. All applicants must be City of Berkeley residents.
Due to circumstances related to COVID-19, YouthWorks will be handling new applications for Summer 2022 on a rolling basis and based on job placement availability. Please check this website for updated information or inquire directly with the program via email or phone.
Applications for the Extended program will remain open year-round (Extended Program qualifications differ from Summer positions. The Extended Program positions are not typically available to applicants under the age of 18.)
Until further notice, all sessions (Winter, Summer and Extended programs) will have limited participation due to restrictions related to COVID19.
Summer session for ages 14-17
Pre-pandemic, the summer session for youth ages 14-17 generally runs from June to August. The application timeline would typically run as follows:
- March: Application period will begin and end in March.
- February to May: Selected applicants will be notified. YouthWorkers may be asked to do trainings, interviews, and job placement.
- June to August: Employment at jobsites for YouthWorkers will start in June and end by August.
Winter session for ages 14-17
Pre-pandemic, the winter session for youth ages 14-17 generally runs from January to February. The application timeline would typically run as follows:
- October: Application period will begin and end in October.
- November to January: Selected applicants will be notified. New YouthWorkers may be asked to do trainings, interviews, and job placement.
- January to February: Employment at jobsites for YouthWorkers will start in January and end in February.
Extended Program employment for ages 18-25
Applications are open year-round for this age group. The start dates will vary upon job openings.
To find out more and apply for an Extended Program position please view the Youth Enrollee intern position.
To apply to YouthWorks, fill out our Youth Enrollee Intern application online. If you are selected for YouthWorks, you will receive an email from us with information about next steps. If selected, you will need to provide the following documents to staff:
- Valid ID (not expired)
- Social security card
- Proof of residency in Berkeley
- Most recent report card/progress report (winter session only)
If you are under 18 years old, we will assist you in getting a work permit so that you can legally work. The YouthWorks program will follow all California Child Labor Laws.
Your application will be saved in your Government Jobs account for future reference or to use to apply to other positions.