Alameda County businesses with 25 or fewer employees can get up to $10,000 to help with COVID-19 recovery.
Berkeley businesses can apply by Oct. 31 to be considered for a one-time grant of up to $10,000. Your business may be eligible if you have 25 or fewer employees and has been negatively impacted by the pandemic.
Home-based businesses, including those that are run by only one person, are eligible for up to $5,000.
These grants, which do not have to be repaid, come from a pool of $11 million that will be distributed countywide and will be disbursed by check no later than Dec. 30, 2022.
Application due Oct 31, 2022 at 11:59pm
Apply online for the Alameda County Small Business Recovery Grant. When applying, applicants must:
- Complete online application
- Upload a signed business IRS Form W-9 with a valid Tax Identification Number (either your Social Security Number or Employer Identification number)
City, Alameda County, or State of California business permit or license number are recommended, but not required.
Funds may be used for business facilities, payroll, operating expenses, personal protective equipment, sanitation, health and safety equipment, digital technology equipment, and interior and exterior physical adaptations.
Priority is given to businesses located in disproportionately impacted communities, which includes some areas of Berkeley.
To be eligible for the grant, your business must not have previously received COVID-19 related American Rescue Plan Act funding from Alameda County. Businesses may not apply for and receive more than one of these grants, regardless of the number of locations in the county.
Other financing options for local businesses
A variety of alternative and external funding options are also available to grow your business. Funding can help you open a second business location, upgrade equipment, refurbish building facades, retain jobs, invest in business expansion, and more.
If your business has had trouble qualifying for traditional loans, these options may be able to provide you access to lower-cost financing:
- Revolving Loan Fund: Access capital for businesses and entrepreneurs who seek to grow and retain jobs, but do not qualify for a traditional bank loan. Send an email with the subject “City of Berkeley Loan Fund” indicating your interest, business location, and preferred loan size to get started.
- Berkeley Resiliency Loan Program: Apply for low-interest loans up to $100,000. This program is administered by Working Solutions and has a rolling deadline until funding is exhausted.
- COVID-19 Business Damage Mitigation Fund: Berkeley businesses that have sustained property damage since March 16, 2020 can apply for grants up to $2,500. This program is administered by the Downtown Berkeley Association; for more info email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're a business negatively impacted by the pandemic with 25 or fewer employees, apply for this grant. If you know others who might be interested, please spread the word!