Use online portal to make renewing your business license simple. For mail or in-person renewals, use the provided forms and instructions. Submit by Feb. 29 to avoid penalties.
Landlords, retailers, restaurants, and most merchants who have a business license in Berkeley can now renew using our online portal.
Renewing your business license online can reduce time for you and speed up approval ahead of the February 29 deadline.
The portal automatically calculates the tax due, requires no staff intervention, and emails an unofficial business license the same day.
To renew your business license online, you must meet the following requirements:
- The business is not in the following categories: construction or contractor, auto vehicle for hire, massage, or street vendor
- The business license was paid in full during the previous year, has no delinquent or gap years in the last four years, and did not close in the previous year
- To complete your online renewal, you will need to provide the last four numbers of the Social Security Number or Federal Employer Identification Number used on the original business license application.
Use our online portal to renew your business license by February 29 to avoid penalties and interest.
You can also choose to file by mail or in-person.
Renew your business license online
The steps to renew are simple:
- Step 1: Register for an account on our online portal
- Step 2: Log in and link your license
- Step 3: Renew and pay for your license
After paying for your license online, you will receive a receipt and unofficial copy of the license by email. You will receive your official license in the mail.
Mail or in-person renewals
All Berkeley business license holders can also renew by mail or in person using the forms below:
- General Business License Renewal Form (including contractors/construction, massage, auto for hire, street vendors)
- Non-Profit Business License Renewal Form
- Rental of Real Property Business License Renewal Form
Submit your renewal form with a check payable to the City of Berkeley. Please send all documents to:
1947 Center Street, 1st Floor
Berkeley, CA 94704
Renewals must be postmarked by the February 29 deadline to avoid penalties. During our peak season from January to April, mail-in renewals are generally processed within 30 days from the postmarked date. Alternatively, online renewals process same day.
For walk-in renewals at the Customer Service Counter, located at 1947 Center Street, 1st Floor, we accept payments in cash, check, debit card, or Visa/MasterCard credit card. Our hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am to 2:00 pm.
Businesses that miss the February 29 deadline will incur a 10% penalty on March 1, followed by a monthly 1% interest on the outstanding business license tax and penalty. An additional 40% penalty will be imposed on April 1, along with a 1% monthly interest on the second penalty from that date onwards.
Landlords, retailers, restaurants, and the majority of Berkeley merchants holding a business license can easily complete their license renewals using our online portal. Avoid penalties and renew by February 29.