Plan ahead to reduce trash that goes to the landfill. Learn how to better compost, recycle and reduce waste
Plan your Thanksgiving to reduce what goes to the landfill. For those with Thursday or Friday pickups, plan to put out your carts a day later.
Residents with regular Thursday collections should place carts curbside by 7:00 a.m. on Friday, November 24. Those with regular Friday pickups should place carts curbside by 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, November 25.
Use tips to reduce holiday waste
Think through what can be re-used. Sort your recyclables and compost. Cutting back on waste at the end of the year helps you and Berkeley be more sustainable. It also helps reduce a national problem of greater waste during the holidays.
Prevent wasted food by making small shifts in how you plan, store, and eat your food. When we waste food, we waste the energy, water, and resources that went into producing that food and getting it into our kitchens. Learn more at stopfoodwaste.org.
Compost the following items in your green cart:
Avoid sending food to the landfill, where it generates methane and other greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change. Compost:
- Turkey carcass: All meat bones, fish bones, and shellfish shells.
- Stuffing, veggies, and pie: All food scraps from food prep or plate scrapings.
- Coffee grounds and filters: Coffee grounds, paper filters, and tea bags.
- Food-soiled paper products: Paper napkins, towels, plates, cups, tablecloths, and other food-soiled paper products should be placed into the compost cart.
- Wine corks: If the cork is natural, place it in the compost cart. Plastic or synthetic corks should be placed in the trash.
- Small amounts of fats, oil and grease: For small amounts, let it cool, then wipe with a paper towel and place the paper towel in the compost cart.
Take large amounts of oil or grease to an oil and grease drop-off location near you. Use the Re:Source search tool to find the nearest drop-off location.
Recycle the following items in your blue cart:
Wipe, scrape, and empty various items before recycling.
- Aluminum pie and baking trays: Wipe your tray clean before recycling.
- Steel cans and aluminum foil: Ball up your foil before tossing it in the recycling.
- Plastic containers: Wipe all plastic containers before placing them in the recycle bin.
Help reduce what Berkeley sends to landfills by planning ahead, reusing what you can, and properly sorting your recycling and compost.