Apply for a building permit to construct, alter, or demolish a structure. Apply online or in person at the Permit Service Center.
Apply for a building permit before beginning work on your construction project. All construction work and most repairs require building permits unless specifically exempted. Apply for a building permit online or at the Permit Service Center.
Building permits are required for most construction and repair work
Building permits are required for:
- Construction of a new structure
- Alterations to an existing structure
- Alterations to electrical, mechanical, plumbing or other trades
- Demolition of an existing structure
- Establishment of a new property use
- Modifications of an existing property use
Apply online or in person
Apply for a building permit online or in person:
- Online: Learn more about how to submit using Permits Online
- In person: Make an appointment at the Permit Service Center online or by calling (510) 981-7500
Staff will review your application to ensure your project meets the building code and other requirements. Learn more about the plan check process and review times.
During the review process, the City will determine the amount of fees you owe for your permit. Use the permit fee estimator to get an idea of how much you will need to pay for your project.
Additional requirements triggered by building permit submittal
Depending on the scope of your project, you may need to comply with additional requirements. These include:
- Installing carbon monoxide detectors
- Installing smoke detectors (required for projects valued $1,000+)
- Installing gas shut-off valves (required for projects valued $50,000+)
- Installing water conserving plumbing fixtures
- Providing an accessible path of travel (see California Building Code Section 11B-202.4)
- Note: Projects under $166,157 may apply for an Unreasonable Hardship Exception to limit the required upgrades to 20% of the project valuation.
- Obtaining a Private Sewer Lateral Certificate (required for projects valued $60,000+)
- Adhering to green building requirements