Ensure you obtain required fire permits for your project or event.
Most, but not all, building permits require Fire Department review. When you submit applications to the Permit Service Center, the Permit Technician who processes your building permit application will determine if this type of review is needed.
Construction Fire Permits
Construction fire permits are for installation of fire protection systems, including:
- Fire alarm
- Sprinkler system
- Standpipe system
- Two-way communications system
- Emergency responder radio coverage system (ERRCS)
- Clean agent fire suppression system
- Vegetation management plan (in development)
- Energy storage systems
- Fire pumps
Operational fire permits
Operational fire permits are for areas, equipment, and operations with higher fire risk.
- Holiday tree sales lot
- CO2 (carbon dioxide) liquid dispensing
- Fireworks and fire effects
- Flammable/Combustible liquid storage
- Hazardous materials
- Open burning
- Spraying operations
- Tent and membrane structures
- Window bars
APPLY FOR YOUR FIRE PERMIT
To apply for your fire permit, email FireResubmittals@berkeleyca.gov with the following:
- In the subject line, write: New fire permit application submittal.
- In the email body, provide a description of the proposed project, and the applicant’s phone number and email address.
- Provide the following documents in your email. You may attach them to the email or provide a link where the documents are available for download:
Staff will reply within 1-2 business days to request more information. Once your documents are accepted for plan review, staff will determine your plan check fees and will provide you with instructions on how to pay.
You will receive all communications and responses during the plan review process by email, including when plan check comments are issued or the plans have been approved.
Parking permits for UC Berkeley football games
In order to provide paid parking on your property for use during a UC Berkeley football game, you must:
- Obtain a business license from the City of Berkeley
- Apply for an operational fire permit at the Permit Service Center and include a layout of where the parking spots will be on the property
- Once the permit is approved, contact the Fire Prevention Division at (510) 981-5585 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an inspection before Game Day
Visit Special Event Permits for more information.
Indoor Entertainment Event (IEE) Process
IEE inspections are required for indoor events with 50 or more people.
- IEE application (works on Google Chrome only) must be submitted at least 10 business days before the event.
- IEE inspection fee of $93.50 must be paid at the Fire Front Counter via check or cash in the exact amount due at least eight business days before the event.
- Do not go to the Permit Service Center for this service.
- Following confirmation of timely application and fee payment, an inspector will reach out to you to schedule the inspection.