Civic Arts Grants
The Civic Arts Program funds Berkeley arts organizations, artists, and festivals.
The Civic Arts Program provides grant funding to support a vibrant arts ecosystem, strengthen diverse cultural expressions, and ensure equitable access to arts and culture throughout Berkeley.
Grants for Berkeley Arts Organizations, Artists, and Festivals
Civic Arts Program grants are awarded through a competitive application process in these categories:
- Arts Organizations: Arts Organization Grants provide general operating support for Berkeley-based nonprofit arts organizations and arts programs. Grants in this category are awarded on a two-year cycle and applications for this category are only accepted every two years. Applications for the next round of funding will open in fall 2022.
- Artists: Artist Project Grants are awarded annually to support Berkeley-based artists in developing new work. Applications for the next round of funding will open in fall 2022.
- Festivals: Festival Grants are awarded annually to support for Berkeley-based festivals and special events. Applications for the next round of funding will open in fall 2022.
Timeline for current grant cycle
The timeline for artist and festival grants for the fiscal year 2023 is below:
- March 1–April 13, 2022: Application period
- April–May 2022: Grants Application Review Panel Meeting
- May 17, 2022: Grants Committee makes funding recommendations
- May 25, 2022: Civic Arts Commission approves grant awards
- June 28, 2022: City Council adopts budget
- July 1, 2022–June 30, 2023: Grant activity period
Additional grant funding opportunities
In addition to the regular yearly Civic Arts Program grants, the City of Berkeley occasionally makes additional funding for the arts available to respond to emergent needs.
- Berkeley Arts Recovery Grants for Artists & Cultural Practitioners: Apply for funding up to $10,000 through the Berkeley Arts Recovery Grant for Artists & Cultural Practitioners. Apply by noon on May 11, 2022. Learn more and apply through the Center for Cultural Innovation, who is administering the grants.
How to apply
When grant applications are available for any Civic Arts Program grant funding opportunity, links to the guidelines and application forms will be available on this page. Sign up for the Civic Arts newsletter to stay informed about any new grant opportunities and to receive regular program updates.
Get help applying
We hold annual information sessions and workshops to help you with your application. View recordings of the past events below:
If you are awarded funding, you will need to complete a vendor form, fill out a final report, and use our logo on promotional materials.