Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program
Pregnant and post-partum women, infants, and children who meet income guidelines can apply to WIC for support with nutrition and breastfeeding.
WIC continues to provide services, support, and benefits to families, and enroll new families by phone, email, or video call. The California Department of Health has WIC COVID-19 resources online, including information for women and families.
The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program provides nutrition and health services to low-income individuals who are or were recently pregnant, and children under five. Learn more about WIC from the California Department of Public Health.
Benefits and services
The WIC Program offers services in the following areas:
- Food vouchers that can be used to purchase foods high in protein, calcium, iron and vitamin C.
- Nutrition and breastfeeding education for pregnant women, nursing mothers and infants and children. Each participant also receives individual nutrition counseling and general nutrition education.
- An exceptional breastfeeding component that includes breastfeeding counselors who educate and assist pregnant and breastfeeding women, as well as an electric pump loan program and breastfeeding classes.
- Referrals to doctors, dentists, family planning services, the The California Department of Social Services, Public Health Nursing and other related resources.
See if you qualify
To qualify for WIC, you must meet income guidelines and be in any of the categories below:
- A pregnant woman
- A woman breastfeeding a baby under 1 year of age
- A woman who had a baby or was pregnant in the past 6 months
- A baby up to his or her first birthday
- A child up to his or her fifth birthday.
Try using WIC’s eligibility calculator to see if you qualify.
If you believe you qualify for the WIC program, please complete and submit a screening questionnaire. Staff will review your submission and reach out to schedule an appointment if you qualify. Please bring to your first appointment:
- Identification for yourself & any children age birth to 5 years (for example: immunization record, birth certificate, medical cards, etc.)
- Proof of pregnancy for pregnant participants
- Proof of address: a document verifying your current address
- Proof of income: current documents such as, paycheck, tax return or letter from employer
Contact City of Berkeley WIC Program
To get in touch with Berkeley’s WIC Program staff, please call or email during business hours:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (510) 981-5360
- Address: 1900 Sixth St., Berkeley, CA 94710
- Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am – 12:00 pm