Community Agency Request for Proposal
Beginning Monday, November 6, 2023, the City of Berkeley’s Health, Housing, and Community Services Department (HHCS) is soliciting written proposals for housing and community services. This Request for Proposal (RFP) covers four-year funding (July 1, 2024, through June 30, 2028) for programs and services that support low-income people in Berkeley. Approximately $10.9 million in funding is available.
Funding sources included in this RFP are:
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
- General Fund (GF)
- Community Services Block Grant (CSBG)
- Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)
- City of Berkeley Measure E (Measure E)
- HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME) – American Rescue Plan Program (HOME-ARP)
- Homeless Housing, Assistance and Prevention (HHAP)
Please see the attachments for background information, the estimated amount of funding available by funding sources, eligible projects/applicants, a copy of the application, and how to apply.
APPLYING FOR FUNDS
Applications for FY 2025-2028 under this RFP must be submitted via an online, web-based process called City Data Services.
If your agency does not currently receive City funding, to submit an application, go to www.citydataservices.net, and log in with the following User ID and Password:
- User ID – BER2025 (Case Sensitive)
- Password - BER2025 (Case Sensitive)
Once you log in, you will see a short form that collects some basic information. Complete and submit the form to obtain a unique User ID and Password that you will use to submit your application.
If you are a current user of the City’s online reporting system, to submit an application, go to www.citydataservices.net and log on using your existing User ID and Password. You will have an "Apply for 2025-28" link on your main page. Use this link to begin the submission of your application.
For technical issues with submitting data via City Data Services, please contact them directly via the “Help with this page” button on their website.
All applications must be submitted via the online application system by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 22, 2023.
The online application system will not accept late or substantially incomplete applications. Due to the complexity of the application, applicants are encouraged to begin the application early and submit it before the deadline.
Under limited circumstances, an organization may request an exception to either 1) the deadline or 2) the requirement that applications be submitted electronically. Please refer to the Hardship Exemption Process for more details.
Contact us for information, assistance, or to request a hardship exception
If you have additional questions, need a disability-related accommodation, or need to request a hardship-related exception please contact the Health, Housing, and Community Services Department at CommunityAgencyRFP@berkeleyca.gov.
Attend public proposal review meetings
Three City of Berkeley Commissions and a Youth Review Panel will review proposals solicited under this RFP Process. These commissions and the Youth Review Panel may schedule additional meetings to conduct in-depth reviews of the proposals, although specific dates have not yet been established. For further details regarding commissions’ schedules, please consult the City’s Commissions Website. To the best of our ability and timelines, updated meeting dates will also be posted on this Bid and Proposal Opportunities page.
Berkeley’s Youth Equity Program
- For background, see City Council 2x2 Committee.
Berkeley’s Homeless Services
- Alameda County System Coordination Committee Rapid Re-Housing Guidelines
- Emergency Solutions Grant Manual
- City of Berkeley Case Management/Tenant Sustaining Services Standards
- City of Berkeley Case Management/Housing Navigation Services Standards
- Alameda County Coordinated Entry Policies
- Alameda County Emergency Shelter Standards
- City of Berkeley Flexible Rental Subsidy Program Criteria
- Community Agency RFP Program Webinar
- Community Agency RFP Workshop Slides
- Community Agency RFP Workshop Questions & Answers (PDF)
- Homelessness Services Program Webinar
- Homelessness Services Program Workshop Slides
- Youth Equity Partnership Program Webinar
- Youth Equity Partnership Program Workshop Slides
- Post RFP Questions & Answers 12-06-2023 (PDF)